Cortlandt Manor in Westchester County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Bear Mountain Bridge Toll House
the National Register of Historic Places by
The United States Department of the Interior
Dedicated on September 22, 2002
New York State
Town of Cortlandt
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Roads & Vehicles.
Location. 41° 18.09′ N, 73° 57.085′ W. Marker is in Cortlandt Manor, New York, in Westchester County. Marker is on Bear Mountain Bridge Road (U.S. 6) half a mile north of Roa Hook Road, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cortlandt Manor NY 10567, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Camp Smith (approx. half a mile away); Countess Lucille VI (approx. half a mile away); Jan Peeck Bridge (approx. 0.9 miles away); Chaining the Hudson (approx. 1.2 miles away); Peekskill F.D.N.Y. Memorial (approx. 1˝ miles away); Travis Cove Overlook Peekskill Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); Hudson River Reserve Fleet (approx. 1.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cortlandt Manor.
Regarding Bear Mountain Bridge Toll House. Architecturally the Toll House is an excellent example for its time period and it is unique because of its use as a toll collection facility and home. The Bear Mountain Bridge, which opened to traffic on November 27, 1924, was the first bridge to span the Hudson River between Albany and New York City. The Harriman Family built it after the passing of a New York State legislative act in 1922 creating the Bear Mountain Hudson River Bridge Company. The private company also constructed Bear Mountain Road as a vehicular connection to the Bridge. The Road and Bridge were privately owned and tolls for such were collected at the Bear Mountain Road Toll House and at the Bridge itself. The one-story Tudor-style Toll House has a gabled slate roof, exposed timbers, and smooth stucco finish. The west bay of the Toll House housed the office and collection area for tolls. In 1940, the Bridge and Road were sold to the State of New York. Under ownership of the State, collection of tolls for the Road ceased
Also see . . . Bear Mountain Bridge Road on Wikipedia. (Submitted on October 29, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 1,326 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on October 29, 2010, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.