Milton in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ships and Men
In 1828, the ECLIPSE became the Broadkill’s first vessel with a cargo capacity of over 100 tons. Twenty years later the JOHN G. WRIGHT became the first to exceed 100 feet in length. While noted for their size, the ships of the Broadkill were also acclaimed for their speed and sailing ability. Large sloop-rigged vessels were replaced by faster two and three-masted schooners. Many were too large to return after launching. Builders of note included Samuel Martin, William C. Prettyman, David H. Atkins, C. C. Davidson, and Joseph L. Black & Bro. The final sailing ship was built in 1904, and in 1915 the motorized fishing boat WILD CAT became the last product of local
Erected 2001 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-144.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1737.
Location. 38° 46.727′ N, 75° 18.622′ W. Marker is in Milton, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Chandler Street, on the right when traveling east. Located in Milton Memorial Park at the Broadkill River foot bridge and landing, behind the library. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Milton DE 19968, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shipbuilding on the Broadkill (a few steps from this marker); Charles G. Jones, Sr. (within shouting distance of this marker); Milton Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); The Holly Industry (within shouting distance of this marker); Milton Theatre (within shouting distance of this marker); Welcome to Milton (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Governor David Hazzard (about 300 feet away); N.W. McGee House (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milton.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on October 31, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 717 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 3, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.