Near Woodland in Talbot County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Columbus was seized by Federal Cav. under Gen. James H. Wilson, April 16, 1865. The next day Minty’s div. was sent forward to secure the Flint River crossing at Double Bridges. This was done by the 4th Michigan & 3d Ohio Cav., Col B. D. Pritchard comdg., after a rapid night march & a surprise attack, early the 18th.
The rest of Wilson’s forces left Columbus that day, following Minty’s div. via Talbotton, Belleview, Pleasant Hill, Double Bridges, Thomaston, Culloden -- Macon their destination.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 130-3.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is April 16, 1865.
Location. 32° 46.204′ N, 84° 33.467′ W. Marker is near Woodland, Georgia, in Talbot County. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodland GA 31836, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Double Bridges (approx. 5˝ miles away); Straus Home Site (approx. 6.4 miles away); George Washington Towns (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Straus Home Site (approx. 6.4 miles away); a different marker also named Straus Home Site (approx. 6˝ miles away); Talbot County (approx. 6˝ miles away); First Session Supreme Court of Georgia (approx. 6˝ miles away); Elizabeth Evelyn Wright (approx. 6.6 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 909 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on November 1, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.