Rockville in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Confederates in Rockville
From his home, E. Barrett Prettyman, a prominent Rockville citizen and educator, watched approximately 5,000 Confederate cavalrymen ride into Rockville in three columns on Sunday, June 28, 1863. Like many other Montgomery County residents, Prettyman may have thought the troopers were black because of their deeply tanned faces.
Gen. Wade Hampton's brigade, with prisoners captured between Rowser's Ford and Darnestown, entered early that morning ahead of the main body on Darnestown Road, quickly routing a small Union force. After noon, Gen. J.E.B. Stuart, with the remaining two brigades under Gens. Fitzhugh Lee and W.H.F. Lee (led by Col. John R. Chambliss), rode in on Great Falls Road. Lee's advance guard encountered members of the 2nd New York Cavalry, who quickly retreated. The Confederates took control of Rockville, tearing down telegraph lines, foraging the countryside, and arresting prominent citizens loyal to the Union.
While his cavalrymen spread out, Stuart stopped at Prettyman's house, admiring the family's youngest child, two-year-old Forrest. While here Stuart learned of a large supply-wagon train from Washington
Erected by Maryland Civil War Trails.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Maryland Civil War Trails series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 28, 1866.
Location. 39° 4.983′ N, 77° 9.371′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on West Jefferson Street (Maryland Route 28) near South Van Buren Street, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 104 West Jefferson Street, Rockville MD 20850, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Prettyman House (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Prettyman House (a few steps from this marker); Rockville Baptist Church and Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker); Rockville Academy (within shouting distance of this marker); The Bell Tower Building (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Dr. Stonestreet's Office (about 600 feet away); Stonestreet Medical MuseumBeall-Dawson House and Park (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
More about this marker. On the lower left is an Oil painting of Gen. J.E.B. Stuart by Ron Lesser. In the upper center is a portrait of E. Barret Prettyman, courtesy of the Montgomery County Historical Society. On the upper right is a photograph captioned, Many Montgomery County leaders received their education at Rockville Academy (founded 1805) including E. Barrett Prettyman's sons Charles and Forrest. Charles later became a trustee. This 1880s photograph shows the original building, which faced Jefferson Street. Photo courtesy of the Charles Brewer Collection, Peerless Rockville.
Also see . . . Prettyman House. National Register Nomination Form (Submitted on March 24, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 6, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,222 times since then and 22 times this year. Last updated on November 5, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. Photos: 1. submitted on July 7, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on June 6, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 3. submitted on January 17, 2006, by Tom Fuchs of Greenbelt, Maryland. 4. submitted on July 8, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 5, 6, 7. submitted on March 17, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 8, 9, 10. submitted on March 24, 2017, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.