Murfreesboro in Rutherford County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Battle at Stones River
December 31, 1862 - January 2, 1863
To explore their stories, start at the Visitor Center. Maps are available there to help you find battlefield points of interest.
You are here at the McFadden Farm
The final chapter of the battle of Stones River raged here along the frozen banks of Stones River on January 2, 1863. Attacking Confederate troops approached McFadden's Ford, a river crossing just below this hill, only to be smashed by the concentrated cannon fire of 57 Federal guns placed on this knoll.
Erected by Stones River National Battlefield - National Park Service - U.S. Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 35° 53.317′ N, 86° 25.543′ W. Marker is in Murfreesboro, Tennessee, in Rutherford County. Marker is on Van Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Murfreesboro TN 37129, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Breckinridge's Attack (within shouting distance of this marker); Artillery Saves the Day (within shouting distance of this marker); Stones River Artillery Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); McFadden Farm (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); McFadden's Ford (about 600 feet away); Battle of Murfreesboro (approx. 0.6 miles away); A Patriotic Pulpit (approx. 0.6 miles away); Stones River National Battlefield (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Murfreesboro.
More about this marker. The basic marker seen here is used for orientation at the battlefield. It is repeated at several locations, with different text in the map call out.
Also see . . . Stones River National Battlefield. National Park Service site. (Submitted on November 10, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 879 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 10, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.