El Paso in El Paso County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Rio Grande Rectification Project
The straight channel in the foreground is a portion of a unique international project. Here two nations joined hands in 1933 to peacefully rectify and stabilize their common boundary, and to relieve flood dangers in both countries. The channel was straightened by cutting across the old meanders to reduce the river's torturous course from 155 to 86 miles, without loss of area to either country.
This joint project was constructed and is maintained by the International Boundary and Water Commission and was conceived and engineered by commissioners L. M. Lawson, for the United States, and Gustavo P. Serrano, for Mexico
Erected 1962 by The State National Bank.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1848.
Location. 31° 46.958′ N, 106° 28.781′ W. Marker is in El Paso, TexasTouch for map. Marker is in this post office area: El Paso TX 79902, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. El Paso Lower Valley Missions/ Cordova Island/ The City and County of El Paso (here, next to this marker); El Paso International Airport / The Butterfield Trail / Refinery Area (here, next to this marker); The Rainmakers of 1891 (a few steps from this marker); The Franklin Mountains (a few steps from this marker); Scenic Drive (a few steps from this marker); The Rio Grande Irrigation Project (a few steps from this marker); William Beaumont General Hospital /Biggs Air Force Base / Fort Bliss (a few steps from this marker); The Chamizal Settlement (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in El Paso.
Also see . . . The Rio Grande Rectification Project. (Submitted on November 18, 2010.)
Additional keywords. International Boundaries
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 13, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 528 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 13, 2010, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. 3. submitted on September 2, 2013, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 4. submitted on August 24, 2013, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.