Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Warwick in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Harmony United Methodist Church

 
 
Harmony United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 13, 2010
1. Harmony United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  This congregation was organized in 1818 by members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. On March 20, 1819, trustees Purnal Johnson, Burton Johnson, William Hanzor, John Cornish, and Mitchell Johnson, purchased one half acre of land in Indian River Hundred on which to erect a Meeting House. Under the leadership of Reverend Thomas H Johnson, the church was officially incorporated as Harmony Methodist Episcopal Church on April 21, 1875. A new house of worship was erected in 1891 on land adjacent to Harmony Cemetery. The cemetery lot was formally purchase from William T. Hurdle on June 4, 1915. A wooded area near the church was used for outdoor services, then known as “bush meetings.” On February 13, 1939, a new church site was purchase from Oscar W. and Winona J. Wright by trustees Harvey W. Burton, Wilbur Harmon, Charles Davis, Samuel H, Jackson, Albert Lee Hall, Horace E. Wright, LeRoy Shelton, John W Thompson, and Dorsey E. Johnson. Construction of the present Harmony United Methodist Church began in 1940. The cornerstone was laid on September 13, 1942, and the opening service was held on April 18, 1943.
 
Erected
Harmony United Methodist Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 13, 2010
2. Harmony United Methodist Church and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
2004 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-187.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1962.
 
Location. 38° 36.358′ N, 75° 13.119′ W. Marker is near Warwick, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on John J Williams Highway (Delaware Route 24), on the right when traveling west. Located between Tecumseh Pass and County Road 313. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 27270 John J Williams Hwy, Millsboro DE 19966, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Indian Mission School (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rosedale Beach Hotel and Resort (approx. 0.9 miles away); Ancient Paths (approx. one mile away); Chair of Honor (approx. 1½ miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 1½ miles away); Patton Medium Tank (approx. 1½ miles away); Baltimore Hundred (approx. 3½ miles away); Askekesky (approx. 3.9 miles away).
 
Regarding Harmony United Methodist Church. National Register of Historic Places:
Harmony Church ** (added 1979 - Building - #79003308)
Period of Significance: 1875-1899 •
Historic Function: Religion •
Historic Sub-function: Religious Structure •
 
Harmony United Methodist Church Marker, looking west along John J. Williams Highway (State Route 24) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 13, 2010
3. Harmony United Methodist Church Marker, looking west along John J. Williams Highway (State Route 24)
Harmony United Methodist Church Marker, looking east image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Stroud, October 13, 2010
4. Harmony United Methodist Church Marker, looking east
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on November 14, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,248 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 16, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=37934

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 21, 2022