Eutaw in Greene County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
A County Older Than The State, Greene County
Named for Revolutionary hero,
General Nathaniel Greene,
who drove British from Southeast.
Area explored by DeSoto, 1540.
Claimed as French Louisiana, 1699.
Ceded to England, 1763.
Ceded by Choctaw Nation, 1816.
Made a territorial county, 1819.
Eutaw, county seat, is named
for Greene’s victory at
Eutaw Springs, South Carolina.
Erected 1956 by Alabama Historical Association.
Location. 32° 50.446′ N, 87° 53.239′ W. Marker is in Eutaw, Alabama, in Greene County. Marker is on Tuscaloosa Street (U.S. 11) east of Springfield Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Marker located on the north side of Courthouse Square. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eutaw AL 35462, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 4 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Welcome to Eutaw, Alabama: The Gateway To The Black Belt (within shouting distance of this marker); First Presbyterian Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); St. John’s Church Pleasant Ridge Presbyterian Church (approx. 16.6 miles away).
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Revolutionary
Credits. This page was last revised on November 1, 2019. This page originally submitted on November 14, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. This page has been viewed 831 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 14, 2010, by Timothy Carr of Birmingham, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.