Defiance in Defiance County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
General William Henry Harrison ordered the construction of Fort Winchester at the beginning of October 1812 and it was completed October 15. The fort served as a forward observation post and supply depot for the American army during the War of 1812. Until Fort Meigs was completed in 1813, Fort Winchester was the front line against the British and their Indian allies. During the siege of Fort Meigs, Fort Winchester was a rendezvous point for the troops of General Green Clay and those of Colonel William Dudley. Fort Winchester outlined the shape of a parallelogram, measuring 600 by 300 feet in size. Blockhouses anchored the four corners of the fort and within its stockade were storehouses and a hospital.
[Back Text] : "Fort Winchester"
Captain George Croghan, later the hero of the siege of Fort Stephenson, was one of the post's commanders. Colonel Richard M. Johnson, credited with the death of the great Shawnee chief Tecumseh at the Battle of the Thames, trained his Kentucky Mounted Regiment here. The Army abandoned the post in the spring of 1815, after
Erected 2010 by Defiance County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society, City of Defiance, and The Ohio Historical Society. (Marker Number 4-20.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #09 William Henry Harrison, and the Ohio Historical Society / The Ohio History Connection series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1812.
Location. 41° 17.141′ N, 84° 21.491′ W. Marker is in Defiance, Ohio, in Defiance County. Marker is on Washington Avenue north of West 2nd Street (Ohio Route 15), on the right when traveling north. This historical marker is located on the river side of Washington Avenue, along the Rotary Walkway. It is about 100 Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Defiance OH 43512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Winchester (within shouting distance of this marker); Defiance Historic Sites (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Service Star Legion Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Winchester (about 600 feet away); Anthony Wayne's Fort Defiance (about 600 feet away); South Blouckhouse (about 600 feet away); Reinforcement Work (about 600 feet away); Frontier Fort 1794-1796 (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Defiance.
More about this marker. When it was originally built Fort Winchester was situated on the west bank of the Auglaize River, just upstream from the location of Fort Defiance at the juncture of the Auglaize River with the Maumee River. When visiting Defiance, Ohio today, the Ohio Historical Marker for Fort Winchester can be viewed when traveling east from downtown Defiance on W. 2nd St. and looking on your left up Washington Avenue, just prior to crossing the bridge over the Auglaize River.
The Ohio Revolutionary Memorial Commission (ORMC) marker can be viewed by looking to your right, just prior to crossing the bridge over the Auglaize River (adjacent to the Family Video parking lot).
Regarding Fort Winchester. The War of 1812 was still in its infancy and already the American theater of military operations in the Northwest had suffered a serious setback. General Hull had marched an American army northward, through northwestern Ohio, to one of America's border's with Canada, at Fort Detroit. Once there however, instead of the anticipated successful invasion of Canada, Hull's army experienced a stunning defeat. And with the loss of General Hull's army the door was opened for the British to launch an invasion of conquest into Ohio.
To make matters worse, there was soon infighting between the Americans over who would assume command of the
So while it had been under General Winchester's command that the American army had advanced into the Fort Defiance area (the area at the juncture of the Auglaize River with the Maumee River), it would now be under the command of General Harrison that a major fort would be built there.
It is in his book (copyright 1905) entitled, "History of the Maumee River Basin" that Defiance native Charles E. Slocum writes about Fort Winchester and states: "General Harrison selected the site and drew the plan for a new fort to embrace over twelve times the ground space of Fort Defiance....As
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 15, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 990 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 15, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.