Hopkins in Richland County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Harriet Barber House
In 1872 Samuel Barber (d. 1891) and his wife Harriet (d. 1899), both former slaves, bought 42 1/2 acres here from the S.C. Land Commission, established in 1869 to give freedmen and freedwomen the opportunity to own land. Barber, a well-digger as a slave, was a farmer and minister after the Civil War. The Barber family has owned a major portion of this tract since Samuel and Harriet Barber purchased it in 1872.
Samuel Barber’s wife Harriet (d. 1899) received title to this land in 1879. This one-story frame house was built ca. 1880. The Barbers’ son Rev. John B. Barber (1872-1957) inherited the property in 1899. He was a schoolteacher and pastor of St. Mark and New Light Beulah Baptist churches. This house was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1986.
Erected 2010 by South East Rural Community Outreach. (Marker Number 40-168.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: African Americans.
Location. 33° 53.718′ N, Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Hopkins SC 29061, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. A different marker also named Harriet Barber House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hopkins (approx. 0.7 miles away); Minervaville (approx. 2˝ miles away); New Light Beulah Baptist Church (approx. 4 miles away); James H. Adams (approx. 4.3 miles away); Robert H. Morrell Road (approx. 4.3 miles away); Horrell Hill (approx. 4.4 miles away); Barnie Jordan Jr. Memorial Highway (approx. 5.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Hopkins.
Regarding Harriet Barber House. National Register of Historic Places:
Barber House ** (added 1986 - Building - #86000531) •
Historic Significance: Event, Architecture/Engineering •
Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown •
Architectural Style: No Style Listed
Area of Significance: Architecture, Black, Politics/Government •
Period of Significance: 1875-1899 •
1. Harriet Barber House.
The Harriet Barber House, the home of Reverend Samuel Barber and his wife Harriet McPherson Barber, is
century. Samuel Barber purchased a 42.5 acre of land in Richland County, part of the tract known as the Hopkins Turn Out Tract at $5.00 per acre. The land on which the house is located has remained in the same family since May 24, 1872. It appears that it is the only existing house in Lower Richland County built on land that was purchased by former slaves who took advantage of this program.
— Submitted November 18, 2010.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 681 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 17, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on June 21, 2011, by Anna Inbody of Columbia, South Carolina.