Dover in Stewart County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Fort Donelson Confederate Monument
as an altar of remembrance
to the Confederate soldiers
who fought at Fort Donelson
Daughters of the Confederacy
"There is no holier spot of ground
than where defeated valor lies"
"______________ here was the place of battle. You who have never known the scour and pierce of battle may only remember moments by names, places by monuments, but I who was born by the battle-fields cannot escape a sorrow that dwells, a valor that lingers, a hope that spoke on lips now still."
Honor their valor, emulate the devotion with which they gave themselves to the service of their country, let it never be said that their sons in these southern states have forgotten their noble example.
February 14th, 1862
February 15th, 1862
Erected 1933 by United Daughters of the Confederacy.
Topics and series. War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the United Daughters of the Confederacy series list.
Location. 36° 29.089′ N, 87° 51.775′ W. Marker is in Dover, Tennessee, in Stewart County. Marker is on Fort Donelson Park Road, on the left when traveling north. Located at stop one, the Confederate Monument, on the driving tour of Fort Donelson National Battlefield. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover TN 37058, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Buckner's Division (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fort Donelson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Federal Troops and Casualties at Fort Donelson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Confederate Troops and Casualties at Fort Donelson (approx. 0.2 miles away); Union Camp (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lauman's Brigade (approx. 0.2 miles away); Buckner's Defense (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,108 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on November 17, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.