Near Darlington in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Darlington District Agricultural Society / The Mineral Spring
Darlington District Agricultural Society
On May 5, 1846, a society was organized for "mutual improvement in agriculture and to promote the planting interest of the country." Most of the annual meetings since that time have been held at this spring. The first officers were W. E. James, Rev. J. M. Timmons, Isaac W. Wilson, Robert Rogers, and Rev. Robert Campbell.
The Mineral Spring
On July 17, 1819, this spring and the surrounding lands were purchased from Henry King by the Darlington Mineral Springs Company, intent upon developing the site as a beneficial spa. The enterprise was abandoned soon after the death of the chief promoter.
Erected 1969 by Darlington County Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16-7.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Agriculture.
Location. 34° 19.626′ N, 79° 53.022′ W. Marker is near Darlington, South Carolina, in Darlington County. Marker is on Mineral Springs Rd., on the right when traveling south. Marker Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Darlington SC 29532, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George W. Dargan (approx. 1.4 miles away); “Yankee Hill” (approx. 1½ miles away); Darlington County Jail (approx. 1.7 miles away); Darlington County Confederate Monument (approx. 1.8 miles away); Darlington County / Darlington County Courthouse (approx. 1.8 miles away); Site of First Methodist Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); St. James Church (approx. 1.9 miles away); Darlington Memorial Center (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darlington.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 516 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. 3. submitted on May 10, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.