Darlington in Darlington County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
Darlington Memorial Cemetery
This cemetery, established in 1890, was originally a five-acre tract when it was laid out as the cemetery for the nearby Macedonia Baptist Church. The first African American cemetery in Darlington, it includes about 1,900 graves dating from the late 19th century to the present. In 1946 Bethel A.M.E. Church and St. James Methodist Church, both nearby, established their own cemeteries here as well.
Among the prominent persons buried here are Rev. Isaac Brockenton (1829-1908), the founding pastor of Macedonia Baptist Church; Edmund H. Deas (1855-1915), prominent Darlington County politician; and Lawrence Reese (1864-1915), a self-taught designer and master craftsman who designed and built several houses on West Broad Street. This cemetery was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2005.
Erected 2006 by the Darlington Memorial Cemetery Association. (Marker Number 16-54.)
Location. 34° 18.084′ N, 79° 51.38′ W. Marker is in Darlington, South Carolina Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Darlington SC 29532, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Grove Hill Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Edmund H. Deas (approx. half a mile away); Macedonia Church (approx. 0.7 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. ¾ mile away); Darlington County / Darlington County Courthouse (approx. 0.9 miles away); Darlington County Confederate Monument (approx. 0.9 miles away); Lawrence Reese (approx. 0.9 miles away); Darlington County Jail (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Darlington.
Also see . . . Darlington Memorial Cemetery National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form. (Submitted on November 21, 2010, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
Topics. This marker is included in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 725 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 17, 2010, by David Bullard of Seneca, South Carolina. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.