Dover in Stewart County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Life at Fort Donelson
The only known contemporary illustration of the Confederate encampment within Fort Donelson appeared in the March 17, 1862, issue of Harper's Weekly. The view is from the area occupied today by the National
Fort Donelson's defenders wore a wide variety of clothing, as this photograph of captured Fort Donelson soldiers shows.
Few had uniforms, most wore citizens' clothes. Many of the officers had the regular gray uniform, while others wore U.S. Army blue.
No one knows exactly what the cabins at Fort Donelson looked like, but they probably didn't differ much from those pictured here, built by Confederate soldiers of Centreville, Virginia in the winter of 1861-62.
Erected by Fort Donelson National Battlefield - National Park Service - Department of the Interior.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 36° 29.579′ N, 87° 51.4′ W. Marker is in Dover, Tennessee, in Stewart County. Marker is on Fort Donelson Park Road, on the left when traveling east. Located at tour stop three, the log huts, on the driving tour of Fort Donelson National Battlefield. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover TN 37058, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Quarters for the Troops (here, next to this marker); Stankiewicz's Battery (within shouting distance of this marker); Powder Magazine (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Gun Positions The River Batteries (about 700 feet away); Control the Rivers and Railroads (about 700 feet away); Foote's Gunboat Flotilla (about 700 feet away); Exchanging Iron Valentines (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
Also see . . . Fort Donelson. National Park Service site. (Submitted on November 18, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 18, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 536 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 18, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.