Woodland in Talbot County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Wilson’s Cav. seized Columbus Apr. 16, 1865. On the 17th, Minty’s div. was sent to blaze a trail to Macon. Minty sent the 4th Mich. & 3d Ohio Cav. under Col. B. D. Pritchard on a night march to secure the Flint River crossing at Double Bridges, guarded by 50 Georgia Cavalry Reserves, under Maj. N.C. Osborn. Pritchard, in a surprise attack, with overwhelming forces, seized the island and the two bridges.
Wilson’s Raiders followed Apr. 18-19, via Talbotton, Belleview, Pleasant Hill & Thomaston.
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 130-2.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list.
Location. 32° 49.033′ N, 84° 28.883′ W. Marker is in Woodland, Georgia, in Talbot County. Marker is on Pleasant Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Woodland GA 31836, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Belleview (approx. 5˝ miles away); The Cove Gorges of the Flint (approx. 9.9 miles away); Pettigrew-White-Stamps House (approx. 9.9 miles away); Straus Home Site (approx. 10.2 miles away); Upson County (approx. 10.2 miles away); a different marker also named Straus Home Site (approx. 10.2 miles away); Confederate Dead (approx. 10.2 miles away); First Cannon Ball (approx. 10.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 19, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,161 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 19, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.