Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Socorro in Socorro County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Socorro

 
 
Socorro Marker image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, November 23, 2010
1. Socorro Marker
Inscription.  The Piro Indian pueblo Teypana was visited by Juan de Oņate in 1598. The people of the village reportedly supplied corn to Oņate who bestowed the name Socorro ("aid" in Spanish) on the pueblo. In 1626, the mission of Nuestra Seņora de Socorro was built at the nearby pueblo of Pilabķ. Abandoned during the Pueblo Revolt of 1680, the present town was founded in 1815.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the El Camino Real de Tierra Adentro series list.
 
Location. 34° 2.617′ N, 106° 54.512′ W. Marker is near Socorro, New Mexico, in Socorro County. Marker is on Grant Street (U.S. 60), on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 836 Grant Street, Socorro NM 87801, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. For Southern Independence (approx. 1.2 miles away); Jumbo (approx. 1.3 miles away); a different marker also named Socorro (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Garcia Opera House
Socorro Marker Location image. Click for full size.
By Gregory Walker, November 23, 2010
2. Socorro Marker Location
(approx. 1.4 miles away); New Mexico Bureau of Mines and Mineral Resources Museum (approx. 1.6 miles away); New Mexico Tech (approx. 1.6 miles away); Sabino y Lemitar (approx. 7.9 miles away); San Antonio (approx. 9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Socorro.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 27, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 561 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 27, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 25, 2020