Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Lafayette in Montgomery County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Montgomery White Sulphur Springs

 
 
Montgomery White Sulphur Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., November 24, 2007
1. Montgomery White Sulphur Springs Marker
Inscription.  Near here stood Montgomery White Sulphur Springs, popular resort area of 19th century America. During the Civil War the resort was converted into a military hospital staffed by Catholic nuns. Several hundred victims of smallpox including nurses and soldiers are buried nearby. The Southern Historical Society was reorganized here in August, 1873, when Jefferson Davis delivered the principal address.
 
Erected 1971 by Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission. (Marker Number KG-12.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: MilitaryScience & MedicineWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1873.
 
Location. 37° 14.353′ N, 80° 13.513′ W. Marker is near Lafayette, Virginia, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Northbound Rest Area (U.S. 81 at milepost 129), on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elliston VA 24087, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
the crow flies. Bow String Arch Truss (within shouting distance of this marker); The “Bowstring” Truss Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Montgomery County / Roanoke County (approx. 1.8 miles away); Fort Vause (approx. 5.1 miles away); American Revolution on the Frontier (approx. 6.2 miles away); Fort Lewis (approx. 6.3 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Lewis (approx. 6.3 miles away); Colonial Mansion Site (approx. 6.4 miles away).
 
Wide view of the Montgomery White Sulphur Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul Crumlish, July 19, 2011
2. Wide view of the Montgomery White Sulphur Springs Marker
Night View of the Montgomery White Sulphur Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Kevin W., November 24, 2007
3. Night View of the Montgomery White Sulphur Springs Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 29, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,471 times since then and 121 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on November 29, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.   2. submitted on July 20, 2011, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.   3. submitted on November 29, 2007, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=3851

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 20, 2024