Auto Production in Kenosha
Charles Nash purchased the company in 1916 and renamed it Nash Motors. Nash was one of the first auto makers to reinforce vehicles with steel and in 1918 built the largest number of trucks in the world.
Nash and Kelvinator merged on 1937, later merging with Hudson Motor Car Company in 1954 to form American Motors Company (AMC). With production of the Rambler, the first modern compact car, AMC became a leading independent auto company. In 1980 AMC built the innovative Eagle, the first U.S. four wheel drive auto.
Chrysler purchased AMC in 1987 and automobile production was moved from this site. The last auto was produced here on December 23, 1988, although Daimler Chrysler continues to manufacture engines.
Erected 2002 by Wisconsin State
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Roads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Wisconsin Historical Society series list. A significant historical date for this entry is December 23, 1988.
Location. 42° 35.005′ N, 87° 50.294′ W. Marker is in Kenosha, Wisconsin, in Kenosha County. Marker is at the intersection of 56th Street and 24th Avenue, on the left when traveling west on 56th Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kenosha WI 53140, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Site of the First Free School (approx. 0.7 miles away); Kenosha County Courthouse (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Congregational Church (approx. 0.9 miles away); Civil War Memorial (approx. one mile away); Capt. David Leet and S Sgt. James Van Bendegom (approx. one mile away); Gilbert M. Simmons Memorial Library (approx. one mile away); St. Matthew’s Church (approx. one mile away); Korean War Memorial (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kenosha.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2023. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,285 times since then and 171 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 30, 2010, by Paul Fehrenbach of Germantown, Wisconsin. 2. submitted on November 27, 2023, by Greta Schassler of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.