Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Lewes in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Lewes Presbyterian Church

 
 
Lewes Presbyterian Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 15, 2010
1. Lewes Presbyterian Church Marker
Inscription.  The origin of this church can be traced to the earliest days of Presbyterianism in America. A congregation was established here in 1692 under the leadership of the Reverend Samuel Davis. The steady flow of immigrants from Scotland and Ireland contributed to its growth. In 1707, the congregation obtained a portion of the present church property on which they erected a small frame house of worship. This building was subsequently replaced by a brick structure in 1727-28. It served the congregation until 1832, when the present church was completed. Also used as a school, the old brick church was demolished in 1871. Over the years, the church has been altered and expanded on several occasions. A Sunday School addition was constructed in 1914, and a multipurpose activities building was completed in 2002.

The adjoining cemetery includes the graves of many prominent citizens including Delaware Governors David Hall and Ebe W. Tunnell. The Lewes Presbyterian Church was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
 
Erected 2002 by The Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-157.)
Lewes Presbyterian Church and Marker image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 15, 2010
2. Lewes Presbyterian Church and Marker

 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list.
 
Location. 38° 46.346′ N, 75° 8.36′ W. Marker is in Lewes, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Kings Highway (U.S. 9N), on the right when traveling north. Located between Washington And Franklin Avenues. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Kings Highway, Lewes DE 19958, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Fisher-Martin House (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); World Wars I and II Memorial (about 500 feet away); Lewes (about 500 feet away); H.M. Brig DeBraak (about 600 feet away); David Hall House (about 600 feet away); Zwaanendael House (about 600 feet away); The Zwaanendael Club (about 700 feet away); The New Devon Inn (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewes.
 
Regarding Lewes Presbyterian Church. National Register of Historic Places:
Lewes Presbyterian Church (added 1977 - Building - #77000394)
Historic Significance: Architecture/Engineering •
Architect, builder, or engineer: Unknown •
Architectural Style: Greek Revival, Colonial
Lewes Presbyterian Church and cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 15, 2010
3. Lewes Presbyterian Church and cemetery
Revival, Gothic Revival •
Area of Significance: Historic Architecture •
Cultural Affiliation: American •
Period of Significance: 1825-1849, 1850-1874, 1875-1899 •
Historic Function: Religion •
 
Lewes Presbyterian Church front door image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 15, 2010
4. Lewes Presbyterian Church front door
Lewes Presbyterian Church and southside cemetery grounds image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 15, 2010
5. Lewes Presbyterian Church and southside cemetery grounds
Ebe W.Tunnell Gravesite, as mentioned image. Click for full size.
By Mike Stroud, October 15, 2010
6. Ebe W.Tunnell Gravesite, as mentioned
Dec. 31, 1844 - Dec. 18, 1917
Governor of Delaware
1896 - 1900
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 585 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 30, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 29, 2020