Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Whitehaven in Wicomico County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Whitehaven

Chartered by Charles Calvert, 3d Lord Baltimore c. 1685. Town Incorporated c. 1702.

 
 
Whitehaven Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, November 3, 2007
1. Whitehaven Marker
Inscription.  Ferry operated here as early as 1692. Settlers were led by Col. George Gale of Whitehaven in the North of England. His first wife, Mildred Warner Washington who by previous marriage was George Washington's grandmother, lived nearby before her death in 1701. "Whitehaven Company" of Somerset County Militia fought with the Maryland Line in Revolutionary War.
 
Erected by Society of Colonial Wars, Maryland Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar, US RevolutionaryWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1685.
 
Location. 38° 16.221′ N, 75° 47.474′ W. Marker is in Whitehaven, Maryland, in Wicomico County. Marker is at the intersection of Church Street and Whitehaven Road (Maryland Route 352), on the right when traveling south on Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Quantico MD 21856, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Green Hill Church (approx. 2.8 miles away); Col. George Gale
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 4.3 miles away); Asbury United Methodist Church (approx. 5.6 miles away); "Bloomsbury" (approx. 5.8 miles away); Friendship United Methodist Church and Allen African American School (approx. 5.8 miles away); Birthplace of Samuel Chase (approx. 6.3 miles away); Roaring Point Park (approx. 6.6 miles away); a different marker also named Roaring Point Park (approx. 6.6 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  Mildred Gale (1671-1701). aka Mildred Warner, Mildred Washington (Submitted on October 19, 2008, by Kevin W. of Stafford, Virginia.) 
 
Additional commentary.
1. Mildred Warner Washington and George Gale
Part of the inscription reads, "Mildred Warner Washington who by previous marriage was George Washington's grandmother, lived nearby before her death in 1701."

After Mildred married her second husband, George Gale in 1699, she came to Whitehaven, Cumberland, England. This was George's home town. He had met Mildred while on business in Virginia.

She died in Whitehaven England c.1701 and is buried in the grounds of St Nicholas's Church in the centre of Whitehaven.

Her widower, George
Whitehaven Schoolhouse and the Whitehaven Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, November 3, 2007
2. Whitehaven Schoolhouse and the Whitehaven Marker
Built in 1886.
Gale returned to Whitehaven, Maryland about 1703 after a custody battle with the Washington family over Mildred's three children by her first husband, Lawrence Washington.

I believe that George Gale had founded the town/ village of Whitehaven, Maryland and named it after his home town of Whitehaven, Cumberland, England.
    — Submitted October 19, 2008, by Angela Walls of Whitehaven, Cumbria, England.
 
Whitehaven Ferry image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, November 3, 2007
3. Whitehaven Ferry
The modern ferry crossing, looking at the town of Whitehaven from across the Wicomico River. Two to three cars can cross at a time at no charge.
Whitehaven Methodist Episcopal Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, November 3, 2007
4. Whitehaven Methodist Episcopal Church
Built in 1892.
Upper Ferry image. Click for full size.
Photographed By F. Robby, November 3, 2007
5. Upper Ferry
About 8 miles up river, there is another free two-car ferry crossing at Upper Ferry.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 2,450 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on November 30, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=3864

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 14, 2024