Following Willey’s death in 1812 the mill was sold to James Owens, and then to Isaac Riggs. From 1821 until 1874 it was owned by members of the Johnson family, and while the property passed through the hands of several subsequent owners, it was known as “Johnson’s Mill” until it was purchased by miller Ainsworth Abbott in 1919. The core of the present mill building is believed to have been constructed on the foundation of the original structure during the latter portion of the 19th century.
The mill was operated by Mr. Abbott until shortly before the State of Delaware began the acquisition of the property
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Environment • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 38° 53.163′ N, 75° 28.577′ W. Marker is in Milford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Abbotts Pond Road 0.1 miles east of Lindale Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15448 Abbots Pond Road, Milford DE 19963, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Griffith's Chapel (approx. 1.8 miles away); Milford (approx. 2.2 miles away); Milford's Struggle for Educational Equality (approx. 2.4 miles away); The Vaules-Grier Home (approx. 2.9 miles away); a different marker also named Milford (approx. 2.9 miles away); Parson Thorne Mansion (approx. 2.9 miles away); Temple Lodge No. 9 A.F. & A.M. (approx. 2.9 miles away); Mispillion River Greenway Historical Sites (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Milford.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 13, 2019. It was originally submitted on December 2, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,244 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on December 2, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.