Elkins Park in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
St. Paul's Episcopal Church
Oldest church building in Cheltenham Township, consecrated 1861. Founder was Jay Cooke (1821-1905), "financier of the Civil War." Cemetery, laid out 1879 and enlarged 1905, contains his mausoleum and graves of prominent area residents. Church originally designed by the firm of Sidney & Merry. Noted architect Horace Trumbauer was responsible for many later additions.
Erected 1992 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list.
Location. 40° 4.282′ N, 75° 8.005′ W. Marker is in Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Old York Road (Pennsylvania Route 611) and Ashbourne Road, on the right when traveling north on Old York Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Elkins Park PA 19027, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lucretia C. Mott (approx. half a mile away); Shoemaker-Bosler Mill Site Camp William Penn (approx. half a mile away); a different marker also named Shoemaker-Bosler Mill Site (approx. half a mile away); Wall House (The Ivy) (approx. half a mile away); First Assembly of Abington Friends Meeting (approx. 0.6 miles away); a different marker also named Camp William Penn (approx. 0.6 miles away); Village of La Mott (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkins Park.
Also see . . .
1. Brief Introduction to St. Paul's. (Submitted on December 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. St. Paul's Episcopal National Register Listing. (Submitted on December 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 598 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.