Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cheltenham Township in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Wall House (The Ivy)

 
 
Wall House (The Ivy) Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., September 14, 2010
1. Wall House (The Ivy) Marker
Inscription.  
Original section, dated from 1682, was built by Richard Wall on land granted by William Penn. An early meeting place of the Society of Friends, 1683-1702. Additions were built about 1725 and 1805. Sarah Wall married George Shoemaker, 1694, and their descendants lived here to 1847. Purchased from the Bosler family, 1932, by Cheltenham Township.
 
Erected 1982 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial EraSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1682.
 
Location. 40° 4.695′ N, 75° 7.698′ W. Marker is in Cheltenham Township, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Wall Park Drive and Church Road, on the right when traveling west on Wall Park Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Wall Park Drive, Elkins Park PA 19027, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shoemaker-Bosler Mill Site (a few steps from this marker); First Assembly of Abington Friends Meeting
Wall House (The Ivy) and Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., September 14, 2010
2. Wall House (The Ivy) and Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
(within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Shoemaker-Bosler Mill Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Beth Sholom Synagogue (approx. Ό mile away); a different marker also named Beth Sholom Synagogue (approx. 0.3 miles away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. half a mile away); Church Road and Washington Lane Historic Crossroad (approx. 0.8 miles away); Lucretia C. Mott (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cheltenham Township.
 
Also see . . .  The Wall House Museum. (Submitted on December 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
 
Wall House (The Ivy) East Face image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., September 14, 2010
3. Wall House (The Ivy) East Face
Wall House (The Ivy) Pump and Oven image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., September 14, 2010
4. Wall House (The Ivy) Pump and Oven
Along west side of house
Wall House (The Ivy) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., September 14, 2010
5. Wall House (The Ivy)
Looking NNE
Wall House (The Ivy) Drive Entrance image. Click for full size.
Photographed By William Fischer, Jr., September 14, 2010
6. Wall House (The Ivy) Drive Entrance
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 625 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on December 4, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.   6. submitted on December 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=38701

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 26, 2022