Dubln in Laurens County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Captain Hardy Smith House
Capt. Hardy B Smith (1841-1912), CSA, one of Laurens County’s noted veterans, served in the Army of Northern Virginia under General Robert E. Lee. Smith, when war broke out, was called home from classes at the University of Georgia and elected First Sergeant of Co. H, “The Blackshear Guards,” of the 14th Georgia Volunteer Infantry Regiment. As a second lieutenant, Smith suffered a wound at Mechanicsville resulting in the amputation of his right arm. Yet he served for two more years. He resigned his commission in April 1864 to serve as an enrolling officer of the 5th District of Georgia. After the War he served as Commander of the “Smith Camp,” a division of the United Confederate Veterans and rose to Brigadier General and Commander of the Eastern Division. He was a public servant, farmer, and business man -- Clerk and Treasurer of the Superior Court, Judge of the Court of Ordinary, and original stockholder in the Macon and Dublin Railroad. He married Ella Few Douglas in 1867 and reared ten children in this house. She, her mother, her sister and four other women founded the First Methodist Church.
Capt. Hardy Smith completed this fine example of Carpenter Gothic architecture in 1873. The home, the oldest home in Dublin still on its original site, is located at what was a small farm extending north to the creek in Stubbs’ Park, west to Church St. and east to the church and cemetery. The house sits on piers of flint rocks hauled in from the Oconee River. Captain Smith planted a grove of magnolias around the front of the home to protect it from direct sunlight. The house features very steep gables, ornate barge boards, dormers, striking chimney tops, clustered columns, heavy timber framing, and board and batten construction or area heart pine. The front porch and barge boards have been replicated from the original design with local heart pine lumber. The roof is shingled in a manner similar to the original. The first floor of the house contains the master bed room, a drawing room, and two smaller rooms. Upstairs are three bedrooms, connected by a unique spiral stair case, the inner wall built by a cooper of two-inch boards like barrel staves, spiraling up to support the steps from the main hallway near the front door. The kitchen was situated at the rear of the house to prevent any fires from spreading to the main house and keep the stove’s heat from penetrating the
Erected 2009 by Georgia Civil War Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1864.
Location. 32° 32.383′ N, 82° 54.5′ W. Marker is in Dubln, Georgia, in Laurens County. Marker is on West Gaines Street, 0 miles west of North Monroe Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 307 West Gaines Street, Dublin GA 31021, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Carnegie Library (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Laurens County (approx. ¼ mile away); Laurens County Honor Roll (approx. ¼ mile away); Where the Dream Began (approx. 0.3 miles away); Martin Luther King, Jr.'s First Public Speech (approx. 0.3 miles Jefferson Davis (approx. 1.1 miles away); a different marker also named Jefferson Davis (approx. 1.1 miles away); Vallombrosa Plantation of Governor George Michael Troup (approx. 8½ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 4, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 996 times since then and 42 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on December 4, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.