Elkins Park in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Assembly of Abington Friends Meeting
The first religious meeting hereabout, now known as Abington Meeting of the Society of Friends (Quakers) was held here in 1683. This was the home of Richard and Joan Wall who came from Hasfield near Cheltenham England in 1682. Their granddaughter, Sarah Wall, married in 1694 George Shoemaker from Kriegsheim, Germany, for whose family this vicinity was called Shoemakertown, later Ogontz, now Elkins Parks.
Erected 1933 by Abington Friends Meetings.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Quakerism series list.
Location. 40° 4.709′ N, 75° 7.692′ W. Marker is in Elkins Park, Pennsylvania, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Church Road near Wall Park Drive, on the right when traveling south. Marker is on the grounds of the Richard Wall House Museum. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Wall Park Drive, Elkins Park PA 19027, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the Wall House (The Ivy) (within shouting distance of this marker); Shoemaker-Bosler Mill Site (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker also named Shoemaker-Bosler Mill Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Beth Sholom Synagogue (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Paul's Episcopal Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Church Road and Washington Lane Historic Crossroad (approx. 0.8 miles away); Lucretia C. Mott (approx. one mile away); Camp William Penn (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Elkins Park.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . .
1. History of Abington Friends Meeting. (Submitted on December 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. The Wall House Museum. (Submitted on December 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 514 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 5, 2010, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.