Near Crisfield in Somerset County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Patented for 150 acres 1678 to John Roach. The brick house on this property is one of the finest examples of very early colonial architecture on the Eastern Shore.
Erected by State Roads Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1678.
Location. 37° 58.359′ N, 75° 49.916′ W. Marker is near Crisfield, Maryland, in Somerset County. Marker is at the intersection of MD 380 and Johnson Creek Road, on the right on MD 380. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Crisfield MD 21817, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. The J. Millard Tawes Homeplace (approx. 0.7 miles away); 'Spirit Of The American Doughboy' (approx. one mile away); J. Millard Tawes (approx. 1.4 miles away); Crisfield (approx. 1.6 miles away); The Evolving Crisfield Harbor (approx. 1.8 miles away); Commerce on the Water (approx. 1.8 miles Searching for Water (approx. 2.7 miles away); Ye Old St. Peters Methodist Church (approx. 3.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crisfield.
Also see . . . Make Peace. Maryland Historical Trust website entry (Submitted on November 30, 2007.)
1. Date of Construction
The marker, which I believe has been around since 1935 or so (CCC or WPA right?) says that the land was patented to John Roach in 1678. "Old Somerset of the Eastern Shore of Maryland. A Study in Foundations and Founders", by Clayton Torrence shows the patent date of February 9, 1663 with the Historical American Buildings survey stating Make Peace was built "soon after 1663".
Submitted by Adam White
— Submitted September 14, 2011.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 5, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,995 times since then and 115 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on November 30, 2007, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2. submitted on November 30, 2007, by F. Robby of Baltimore, Maryland.