Mount Pleasant in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
The Episcopal Church
Christ Church Parish
The first clergyman in 1708
Rev.Edward Marston and Vestry follows
David Maybank and Henry Gill, Wardens
Thomas Barton, William Capers,
Leonard Hickman, John Simes,
Richard Fairchild, John Hale,
and Nathaniel Loughton.
The Church was first destroyed by
accidental fire February 13th 1724, and
immediately rebuilt. In 1782 it was most
wantonly burnt down by the British Army,
the walls remained standing and church
rebuilt prior to 1797. In the War Between
The States, 1865, it was completely ruined,
except for walls, by United States Negro
Troops. Rebuilt and consecrated for the
first time by Bishop W.B.W. Howe on Sunday
December 27th, 1874. In the summer of 1924,
John F. Maybank, a descendent of the first
warden, with the grateful consent of the
Vestry, had, under his direction, the church
placed in thorough physical condition, and
a lasting metal fence erected around it's
hallowed burying ground, and created a
fund for it's perpetual care.
Walls standing in
This tablet presented by J.Oswald Freeman,Secretary and Treasurer of the Vestry September 1925
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is February 1935.
Location. 32° 50.646′ N, 79° 48.832′ W. Marker is in Mount Pleasant, South Carolina, in Charleston County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 17,701 near Old Georgetown Road (South Carolina Highway 10-1808), on the right when traveling north. Located opposite Long Point Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Mount Pleasant SC 29466, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Christ Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Snee Farm (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Lines (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Snee Farm (approx. 0.6 miles away); Charles Pinckney - Statesman (approx. 0.6 miles away); Slave Community (approx. 0.7 miles away); Rice Trunk (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lowcountry Waterways (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mount Pleasant.
Regarding Christ Church. (Christ Episcopal Church) Architecturally, Christ Church is representative of the continuous
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,279 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on December 10, 2010, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 8. submitted on January 3, 2012, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.