Athens in Athens-Clarke County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
Oconee Hill Cemetery
Oconee Hill Cemetery was purchased in 1855 by the City of Athens when further burials were prohibited in the old town cemetery on land owned by The University of Georgia. In 1856, the City formed a self-perpetuating Board of Trustees to hold and manage in trust the original purchase of 17 acres on the west side of the North Oconee River as a public cemetery for the benefit of the town. In 1860 original Trustees A.P. Dearing, H. Hull, Jr., T.R.R. Cobb, F. W. Lucas, and P.E. Moore were granted a charter by act of the Georgia General Assembly. The cemetery is still governed by successor Trustees. In early years, graves from the old town cemetery and many county family cemeteries were moved to Oconee Hill. When more land was needed by 1898, the Trustees bought 81.8 acres on the east side of the river. Adjoining the old part of Oconee Hill is the cemetery of the Congregation Children of Israel and a section dedicated by the Athens Manufacturing Company known as the Factory Burying Ground. Tombstones of soldiers of all America’s wars are found in Oconee Hill and on monuments are found the names of many citizens of Athens illustrious in the history
Erected 2001 by Thomas Miller Chapter, National Society, Colonial Dames of the XVII Century.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Cemeteries & Burial Sites. In addition, it is included in the The Colonial Dames XVII Century, National Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1855.
Location. 33° 57.017′ N, 83° 22.25′ W. Marker is in Athens, Georgia, in Athens-Clarke County. Marker is on Cemetery Avenue, 0.2 miles east of East Campus Drive, on the right when traveling east. The marker is located due east (and in the shadow) of Sanford Stadium, the University of Georgia football stadium. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athens GA 30602, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Lt. Col. Jefferson M. Lamar, C.S.A. (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Olympic Flame (approx. 0.2 miles away); In Memory of Unknown Enslaved Individuals (approx. ¼ mile away); Petroglyphic Boulders (approx. ¼ mile away); United States Navy Pre-Flight School (approx. ¼ mile away); Old Athens Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Old Athens Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Historic Athletic Grounds (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2018. It was originally submitted on December 10, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 565 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 10, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.