Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dover in Stewart County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

History of the Stewart County Courthouse

 
 
History of the Stewart County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, September 4, 2010
1. History of the Stewart County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  The first courthouse in Stewart County, Tennessee was erected in June 1806 in the Township of Dover. In 1823, the original log courthouse was replaced and later destroyed by fire during the Civil War in 1862. The courthouse was rebuilt in 1870. It was a two-story brick building with a tin roof and cupola. That courthouse was torn down in 1965 and relocated on the Northwest side of Donelson Parkway to make room for highway improvements. Bank of Dover, a branch of Legends Bank, was erected in 2003 near the site of the demolished courthouse and stands as a replica of the Stewart County Courthouse built in 1870.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & PoliticsWar, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1806.
 
Location. 36° 29.267′ N, 87° 50.36′ W. Marker is in Dover, Tennessee, in Stewart County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 79) and Spring Street (State Highway 49), on the right when traveling north on Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover TN 37058, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. To All Who Served (within shouting distance of this marker);
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Dover Under Fire (within shouting distance of this marker); The Stewart County Iron Industry (within shouting distance of this marker); Surrender House (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rice House (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named Rice House (approx. 0.2 miles away); C.S.A. Headquarters (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dover Hotel (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
 
Bank of Dover image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Craig Swain, September 4, 2010
2. Bank of Dover
Located on the site of the 1870 courthouse.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 11, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 814 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 11, 2010, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=38896

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 4, 2024