"First in the World"
Post # 14 American Legion Ambulance Service
The Post # 14 American Legion Ambulance Service has been in continuous operation since its founding, and now serves an area from the Delaware Bay to the Maryland border, from Collins Beach to Garrison’s Lake. Staffed largely by volunteers, the service was responsible for answering more than 25,000 calls for assistance during its first seventy-five years of operation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1924.
Location. 39° 18.108′ N, 75° 36.722′ W. Marker is in Smyrna, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is at the intersection of West Glenwood Avenue and North Walnut Street, on the right when traveling east on West Glenwood Avenue. Marker is on the front wall of the ambulance building. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Smyrna DE 19977, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Sgt. John B. Maberry (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Old Asbury Methodist Church (about 700 feet away); Home of Allen McLane (approx. 0.2 miles away); The John Cummins Mansion (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Peter's Episcopal Church (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of Green Pottery (approx. ¼ mile away); The Delaware House (approx. ¼ mile away); Citizens' Hose Company No. 1. Inc. (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Smyrna.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 16, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 806 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on December 16, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.