Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Dover in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of Dover's First Methodist Church

 
 
Site of Dover's First Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
1. Site of Dover's First Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  In 1778, a Methodist Society was organized in Dover by Reverend Freeborn Garrettson. Desiring a permanent place of worship, members acquired a one-half acre lot at this location from Vincent Loockerman in 1782. Future Delaware Governor Richard Bassett contributed toward the construction of a forty foot square structure, which was named Wesley Chapel. Bishop Francis Asbury preached the first sermon here in 1784. The building was used until 1850, when a larger Wesley Methodist Episcopal Church was constructed on State Street. Notable burials include those of Bishop Richard Whatcoat, Delaware Governors Cornelius P. Comegys and Gove Saulsbury, and Representative Nathaniel B. Smithers.
 
Erected 2001 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number K-70.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives, and the Francis Asbury, Traveling Methodist Preacher series lists.
 
Location. 39° 9.371′ 
Site of Dover's First Methodist Church Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By Bill Pfingsten, December 15, 2010
2. Site of Dover's First Methodist Church Cemetery
N, 75° 31.748′ W. Marker is in Dover, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is at the intersection of W. North Street and South Queen Street on W. North Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Dover DE 19904, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Colonel John Haslet (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); John M. Clayton (about 700 feet away); Old Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away); Site Of Kent County’s First Presbyterian Church (about 700 feet away); Did you know... (approx. 0.2 miles away); Continuity & Progress (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Capitol Theater (approx. ¼ mile away); Constitution Park (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dover.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 17, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 706 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 17, 2010, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 20, 2020