Between 1859-1872, thousands of wagons and travelers crossed at Shinn's Ferry, some en route to Ft. Kearny via the south bank of the Platte, and others representing local traffic between Butler and Colfax counties: Moses Shinn, a religious man, reportedly held daily services for travelers using the ferry.
The original ferry was accidentally destroyed in 1865. A replacement was used until a bridge was constructed at Schuyler in 1872. The demise of Shinn's Ferry, and the removal of the Butler county seat to David City in 1873, doomed the town of Savannah which at one time boated the courthouse, a hotel, stores and a blacksmith shop. No traces of Savannah survive today.
Erected by Butler County Historical Society & Nebraska
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Nebraska State Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1859.
Location. 41° 20.217′ N, 97° 8.351′ W. Marker is near David City, Nebraska, in Butler County. Marker is on Road 41 just from Road M, on the right. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bellwood NE 68624, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 13 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Agricultural Park (approx. 12.2 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on December 19, 2010, by Bob Pasonault of Columbus, Nebraska. This page has been viewed 985 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 19, 2010, by Bob Pasonault of Columbus, Nebraska. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.