Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Green Bay in Brown County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
 

Augustin de Langlade

 
 
Augustin de Langlade Marker image. Click for full size.
By Robert L Weber
1. Augustin de Langlade Marker
Inscription.  
On the river shore
Block 3 Astor directly west of this marker stood about the year 1745 the home and trading house of
Augustin de Langlade
and his distinguished son Charles,
the first permanent settlers of Wisconsin.
Charles Michel de Langlade
"Bravest of the Brave"
led his Indian bands in ninety-nine battles. His tact and diplomacy brought peace to the warring tribes along the Fox River. He was held in high esteem by French, English and Americans. His death occurred in 1800.

 
Erected 1916 by The Woman's Club of Green Bay.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Native Americans. A significant historical year for this entry is 1745.
 
Location. 44° 30.682′ N, 88° 1.103′ W. Marker is in Green Bay, Wisconsin, in Brown County. Marker is on South Washington Street north of Crooks Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is mounted on wall in front of the Johnson Bank Building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 318 South Washington Street, Green Bay WI 54301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are
Augustin de Langlade Marker image. Click for full size.
By Robert L Weber, December 21, 2010
2. Augustin de Langlade Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
within walking distance of this marker. Freimann Hotel Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Packers Office Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Influence of the Fur Trade (within shouting distance of this marker); James H. Flatley, Jr. (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Milwaukee Road Depot (about 300 feet away); Milwaukee Road Passenger Depot (about 300 feet away); Vice Admiral James H. Flatley Jr. (about 400 feet away); Elks Club (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Green Bay.
 
Regarding Augustin de Langlade.
Charles de Langlade, called the “Father of Wisconsin”, was a half-French Ottawa chief who along with his father Augustine de Langlade established the first permanent settlement here. They established a trading post on the Fox River in 1764. The Grignon’s, Porlier’s, and Lawe’s who followed brought Canadian-French culture with them and colorful “Jack-knife” Judge Reaume dispensed British justice to the area.
 
Freimann Building and Johnson Bank to the right image. Click for full size.
By Robert L Weber
3. Freimann Building and Johnson Bank to the right
Plaque is to the far right of the picture on the wall. The Freimann Building also contains an informational plaque.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on December 17, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Dewey, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,214 times since then and 20 times this year. Last updated on December 19, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Dewey, Arizona. Photos:   1. submitted on December 17, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Dewey, Arizona.   2. submitted on December 21, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Dewey, Arizona.   3. submitted on December 17, 2010, by Bob (peach) Weber of Dewey, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=39145

Paid Advertisement
May. 12, 2021