Near Fort Oglethorpe in Walker County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
2nd South Carolina Infantry Regiment
Lt. Col. Franklin Gaillard.
Erected 1901 by State of South Carolina. (Marker Number MT-1349.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 34° 55.621′ N, 85° 16.311′ W. Marker is near Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Walker County. Marker can be reached from Vittetoe Road west of Vittetoe-Chickamauga Road when traveling west. This historical marker is located in the northwest section of the Chickamauga National Military Park, along a ridge called Snodgrass Hill. To view this historical marker drive to the parking area on Snodgrass Hill and proceed westward, along the southern crest of the ridge for a little more than 0.2 of a mile. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Oglethorpe GA 30742, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 115th Illinois Infantry (a few steps from this marker); 22nd Michigan Infantry (a few steps from this marker); Whitaker’s Brigade. (a few steps from 89th Ohio Infantry (a few steps from this marker); Granger's Headquarters Shell Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); 84th Indiana Infantry Regiment (within shouting distance of this marker); 40th Ohio Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker); 41st Tennessee Infantry (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Oglethorpe.
More about this marker. According to the description information provided by the National Park Service, the monument is, “A simple, rectangular, rock-faced block mounted on a rock-faced base, 3' wide x 2' high x 1.5' deep, with a smooth-faced area on the top that carries an inscription. Marks the regiment's position during the battle.”
Also see . . . National Park Service List of Classified Structures. This is a link to information provided by the National Park Service regarding this particular monument. (Submitted on May 8, 2017, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 8, 2017. It was originally submitted on December 21, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 704 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on December 21, 2010, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.