“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Seaford in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)


Hardscrabble Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Nate Davidson, December 31, 2010
1. Hardscrabble Marker
Inscription.  The term "Hardscrabble" was created during the 1700s when two men of Irish extraction engaged in a rough fight where Sussex 473 and 446 cross. The skirmish ended in a stalemate, even when the first structured store was built in 1895 by Garrison Messick. The Hardscrabble tradition would continue as boys would compete to put each other in the store's flour barrell on Saturday nights. The store was torn down in 1940 by Ashua and Creston Messick.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraIndustry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1895.
Location. 38° 37.167′ N, 75° 29′ W. Marker is near Seaford, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker is on Messick Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14880 Messick Rd, Seaford DE 19973, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Asbury United Methodist Church (approx. 0.8 miles away); Concord United Methodist Church (approx. 4 miles away); Pilot Town (approx. 4˝ miles away); Nathaniel Mitchell (approx. 5 miles away); Old Christ Church (approx.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
5 miles away); a different marker also named Nathaniel Mitchell (approx. 5 miles away); Cokesbury Church (approx. 5 miles away); Trinity Methodist Church (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Seaford.
Credits. This page was last revised on September 17, 2022. It was originally submitted on December 31, 2010, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 826 times since then and 93 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on December 31, 2010, by Nathan Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements

Jun. 3, 2023