Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Lewes in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse

 
 
Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, December 31, 2010
1. Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse Marker
Inscription.  Located on the eastern end of the Delaware Breakwater, this brown conical structure was built in 1885. The tower is composed of four tiers of cast iron plates lined with two feet of brick. It is twenty-two feet in diameter at the base and is set upon a circular concrete foundation. When completed it was equipped with a fourth order Fresnel lens which showed a fixed white light, with a red sector facing seaward to warn mariners of the dangerous shoals off Cape Henlopen. The light's focal plane was sixty-one feet above sea level with a visibility of thirteen nautical miles. A steam powered Daboll fog trumpet was added in November 1885. The lighthouse served as the front light of the Delaware Breakwater Range from 1903 until 1918. It was automated on July 11, 1950. For a time during the 1960s and 1970s, the structure was used as a base of operations by the Pilots' Association of the Bay and River Delaware. The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1996. On February 5, 1999, the Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse was formally conveyed by the United States Government to the State of Delaware.
 
Erected 2004
Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, December 31, 2010
2. Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse
by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number SC-185.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives, and the Lighthouses series lists.
 
Location. 38° 46.933′ N, 75° 7.092′ W. Marker is in Lewes, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker can be reached from U.S. 9 north of Cape Henlopen Drive. Located within the Cape May-Lewes Ferry Terminal. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewes DE 19958, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Breakwaters (a few steps from this marker); Delaware Pilots (within shouting distance of this marker); Harbor of Refuge Lighthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); The Legacy of Ted Freeman (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Unknown Sailors' Cemetery (about 300 feet away); Menhaden Fisheries (approx. 0.7 miles away); Lighthouses (approx. 0.7 miles away); German Submarine at Cape Henlopen (approx. 0.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewes.
 
Also see . . .  Delaware Breakwater. During its first decade of operation, the breakwater lighthouse’s fog signal was typically in operation for an average of between 400 and 500 hours a year. However, for the last half of 1904 and first half of 1905
Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By John Miller, August 6, 2019
3. Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse Marker
Wide view of the marker, ferry landing at left, "Breakwater Harbor" and Delaware Bay in background. The East End Light can be seen in the distance, far right. The schooner at the pier is the A.J. Meerwald, official ship of New Jersey.
the signal was blasting for an amazing 645 hours. (Submitted on January 3, 2011.) 
 
Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By John Miller, August 9, 2019
4. Delaware Breakwater East End Lighthouse Marker
View of the breakwater from the lighthouse platform. In the foreground is the Oil House, used to store the combustible oil for fueling the light, away from the main structure.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2019. It was originally submitted on January 1, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 674 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 1, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland.   2. submitted on January 3, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland.   3, 4. submitted on August 11, 2019, by John Miller of Rising Sun, Maryland. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 19, 2020