Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Lewes in Sussex County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Quarantine Station

Lewes Maritime History Trail

 
 
Quarantine Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By Nate Davidson, December 31, 2010
1. Quarantine Station Marker
Inscription.  In 1880, the fear that foreigners were bringing epidemic diseases to the United States led the federal government to create the National Quarantine System. Around the country, from stations like the one that was here, doctors were dispatched to board arriving ships to examine the passengers, sending the sick ashore for treatment or observation.

All that's left of the Delaware Breakwater Quarantine Station today are a few ruins. But from 1884 to 1916 it was a busy community where thousands of immigrants, medical personnel, and staff were housed. The station included separate men's and women's hospitals and a ward for contagious cases. There were also staff quarters, a disinfecting house, a boathouse, a flag house for signaling ships, a stable, two tanks for drinking water, a commissary, a blacksmith shop, a crematorium, and a cemetery.

There is no official count of people examined and treated by the station, but estimates exceed 200,000.
 
Erected by City of Lewes.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable PlacesScience & Medicine.
 
Location.
Quarantine Station Marker image. Click for full size.
By John Miller, August 7, 2019
2. Quarantine Station Marker
There is no marker at the indicated location, opposite the "German Submarine" marker.
38° 47.167′ N, 75° 6.086′ W. Marker is in Lewes, Delaware, in Sussex County. Marker can be reached from Coastal Highway (U.S. 9), on the right. Located near the fishing pier within Cape Henlopen State Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewes DE 19958, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. German Submarine at Cape Henlopen (here, next to this marker); William J. Hopkins (within shouting distance of this marker); Delaware Breakwater Quarantine Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Miles Historical Area (approx. 0.8 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Miles Historical Area (approx. 0.8 miles away); Fort Miles in World War II (approx. 0.8 miles away); Standing Guard (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Ever Changing Cape Henlopen (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewes.
 
Additional comments.
1. Ruins of the Quarantine Station
Ruins are visible from the location of the "Delaware Breakwater Quarantine Station" marker (#39387), beyond the pavilion to the right of the tackle shop. Photos are posted for that marker.
    — Submitted August 11, 2019, by John Miller of Rising Sun, Maryland.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 1, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland. This page has been viewed 711 times since then and 32 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on January 1, 2011, by Nate Davidson of Salisbury, Maryland.   2. submitted on August 11, 2019, by John Miller of Rising Sun, Maryland. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Sep. 25, 2020