Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Williamson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

G.W. Riley House

 
 
G.W. Riley House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
1. G.W. Riley House Marker
Inscription.  

Built 1872 by the Rev. S. J. Lane, chaplain, Southwestern University; founder, First Methodist church, Georgetown. Bought 1903 by the Rev. George W. Riley (1853-1925), a grandson of Llano County Indians' 1859 victim, the Rev. Jonas Dancer.

G. W. Riley founded or served Methodist churches in Abilene, Beaumont, Douglassville, Mineral Wells, Tyler, and other towns for 48 years. He and wife, Beulah G. (Matthews) moved here to educate children; house remains in family. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark.
 
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9328.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionEducationNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1872.
 
Location. 30° 37.94′ N, 97° 40.31′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, Texas, in Williamson County. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1302 South College Street, Georgetown TX 78626, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Burcham House (a few steps from this marker); Original Site of Southwestern University
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Negro Fine Arts School (about 500 feet away); Georgetown High School Building (about 600 feet away); Hammerlun Center for Leadership & Learning (about 600 feet away); First United Methodist Church of Georgetown (about 600 feet away); W.C. Vaden House (about 600 feet away); A. W. Sillure House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Also see . . .  Historic Marker Application: The G.W. Riley House. The Portal to Texas History website entry (Submitted on April 1, 2018, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas.) 
 
The G.W. Riley House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Keith Peterson
2. The G.W. Riley House
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 3, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,167 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 3, 2007, by Keith Peterson of Cedar Park, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=3952

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024