Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Near Oglethorpe in Macon County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Mt. Zion Lutheran Church

 
 
Mt. Zion Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2010
1. Mt. Zion Lutheran Church Marker
Inscription.  Organized as a Lutheran society by Pastor John D. Scheck in 1836, the church which came to be located here received its first pastor with the arrival of Father Jacob Kleckley in 1838. The initial worship site for “Ebenezer Church” was located on property of John F. Robinson. A second site was used on property of John T. Coogle before the church renamed itself “Mt. Zion” and moved to this site about 1858. Lutherans regularly worshipped here until a merger with St. Luke in Oglethorpe on 01 November 1953. The church building was razed in 1986.

This marker is erected with funds given in the memory of Mrs. Minnie Lou Williams Hammock.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & Religion.
 
Location. 32° 17.05′ N, 84° 9.773′ W. Marker is near Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Macon County. Marker is on Georgia Route 26 mile from Georgia Route 240, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oglethorpe GA 31068, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as
Mt. Zion Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2010
2. Mt. Zion Lutheran Church Marker
the crow flies. Lumpkin Academy (approx. 5.7 miles away); Timothy Barnard (approx. 5.9 miles away); The Raiders' Graves (approx. 5.9 miles away); Memorial to American Former Prisoners of War Stalag XVII-B (approx. 5.9 miles away); Grave Markers (approx. 5.9 miles away); Captain Henry Wirz (approx. 6.3 miles away); 3 - inch Ordnance Rifle (approx. 6.3 miles away); 6 - pounder Field Gun (approx. 6.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oglethorpe.
 
More about this marker. The stone marker replaced a metal marker on a monopole, which was standing at the site in 1996.
 
Mt. Zion Lutheran Church Marker and Cemetery image. Click for full size.
By David Seibert, January 18, 2010
3. Mt. Zion Lutheran Church Marker and Cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 674 times since then and 4 times this year. Last updated on January 9, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on March 4, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 10, 2020