Henrico in Henrico County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Early Courthouses in Varina
Establishment of Justice
Erected 1997 by County of Henrico Division of Recreation and Parks.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 37° 37.727′ N, 77° 31.031′ W. Marker is in Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4301 East Parham Road, Henrico VA 23228, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Henrico County (here, next to this marker); The Courthouses in Richmond (here, next to this marker); The Courthouse Today (here, next to this marker); Laurel Historic District (approx. 1.1 miles away); Virginia Home for Boys (approx. 1.4 miles away); Bethlehem Baptist Church (approx. 1.6 miles away); Outer Defenses (approx. 1.8 miles away); Skipwith Academy (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Henrico.
More about this marker. On the left is a sketch with the caption, "Historians believe the Varina Courthouse in the early 1800s was a simple brick structure."
On the right is map with the caption, "Detail of “Map of land between James and York Rivers,” 1781-1782, anonymous."
Also see . . . Henrico County History. (Submitted on January 14, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 14, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia. This page has been viewed 442 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 14, 2011, by Bernard Fisher of Mechanicsville, Virginia.