James Island in Charleston County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
This two-gun Confederate artillery battery and magazine is all that remains of Battery Haskell, a large fortification built on Legare’s Point in 1863 to help defend James and Morris Islands. This two-gun battery was just behind the left flank of Battery Haskell, named for Capt. Charles T. Haskell, Jr. of the 1st S.C. Infantry, mortally wounded on Morris Island July 10, 1863.
Battery Haskell, “a massive open work,” was built for twelve guns. In early 1865 its armament was one 8-inch smoothbore cannon, one 32-pounder smoothbore cannon, and two 10-inch mortars. It and the rest of Charleston’s defenses were evacuated February 17, 1865. Battery Haskell was gradually demolished from the 1920s to the 1960s for farm use and later for residential development.
Erected 2008 by The South Carolina Battleground Preservation Trust. (Marker Number 10-58.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil.
Location. 32° 43.717′ N, 79° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charleston SC 29412, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battery Cheves (approx. 0.7 miles away); Redoubt Number 3 (approx. 1.6 miles away); Marshlands House (approx. 1.6 miles away); Site of Fort Johnson (approx. 1.8 miles away); The First Shot of the War of Secession (approx. 1.8 miles away); Grice Marine Laboratory (approx. 1.8 miles away); Battery Reed (approx. 2.2 miles away); Riversville / Battle of Secessionville (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in James Island.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. This page has been viewed 1,437 times since then and 45 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 15, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 8. submitted on January 16, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina. 9. submitted on January 15, 2011, by Mike Stroud of Bluffton, South Carolina.