Arlington in Arlington County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
— Defenses of Washington 1861 - 1865 —
Erected 1965 by Arlington County, Virginia. (Marker Number 16.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts or Castles • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Defenses of Washington series list.
Location. 38° 51.464′ N, 77° 4.67′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Virginia, in Arlington County. Marker can be reached from 18th Street South. The marker is located along the private Army Navy Country Club Access road alongside the remnants of Fort Richardson's parapets and ditches. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2400 18th Street South, Arlington VA 22204, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. John's Baptist Church (approx. half a mile away); Harry W. Gray HouseHume School (approx. half a mile away); Dr. Roland Herman Bruner (approx. 0.6 miles away); Fort Berry (approx. 0.6 miles away); The Arlington Radio Towers (approx. 0.6 miles away); Mt. Zion Baptist Church (approx. 0.6 miles away); Macedonia Baptist Church (approx. 0.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
More about this marker. In the center of the marker is a map of the Washington Defenses, with a red (weathered) arrow pointing out the location of Fort Richardson.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 18, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2011. This page has been viewed 1,372 times since then and 61 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on January 15, 2011. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.