Near Lund in Pierce County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Swedish Methodist Church
Dedicated to early pioneers
This Swedish Methodist Church was built in 1872 by Swedish pioneers on an acre of land deeded by Anders and Carolina Johnson, Swedish immigrants from the province of Varmland, Sweden. The Methodist Church was on the Lund Circuit of the Northern Swedish Mission Conference of Methodist Churches, and served as the central church in the area. Swedish speaking pastors served the parishioners, traveling by horse and buggy. Some of the original members who worshiped here are buried in the cemetery behind the church.
A parsonage, horse stable, and a well were also on this property. Hand hewn butternut benches, a platform with a railing, and a pastor's chair still remain within the building. In 1914 a large painting of Christ in Gethsemane, painted by R. Ronge, was added to the church.
By the mid-twenties, church membership had declined and the doors were closed. In 1940,
In the early 1990's, a number of local people became interested in restoring the church and grounds. They formed the Old Church Road Cemetery Association on June 25, 1994. The property was purchased from Selma Boreen's heirs and deeded to the Association on October 31, 1994. The restoration was begun.
Original committee members were Orlin Anderson, Earl Anderson, Vern Bengtson, Wayne and Marie Bengtson, Nanna Bjurquist, Roger and Darlene Castleberg, Bob and Laurel Haglund, Dennis Lindholm, Melvin and Marjorie Rydberg, Scott Slaughter and Melvin Tinney.
Memorial erected Fall, 2004
Erected 2004 by Melvin and Marjorie (Gustafson) Rydberg.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is June 25, 1994.
Location. 44° Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: N701 County Highway CC, Plum City WI 54761, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Little House Wayside (approx. 2½ miles away); Plum City: Early History (approx. 4.9 miles away); Maiden Rock (approx. 5.9 miles away); Frontenac (approx. 6½ miles away in Minnesota); Site of Fort St. Antoine (approx. 6.7 miles away); Wakondiota Park (approx. 6.8 miles away in Minnesota); Christ Episcopal Church (approx. 6.9 miles away in Minnesota); Fort Beauharnois (approx. 6.9 miles away in Minnesota).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 16, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 1,213 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 16, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.