DeFuniak Springs in Walton County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Florida's First Confederate Monument
Erected 1967 by Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials. (Marker Number F - 147.)
Topics. This historical marker and monument is listed in these topic lists: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1871.
Location. 30° 43.273′ N, 86° 6.7′ W. Marker is in DeFuniak Springs, Florida, in Walton County. Marker is at the intersection of Nelson Avenue (U.S. 90) and 6th Street, on the left when traveling east on Nelson Avenue. Marker is located at the intersection on the southwest corner of the Walker County courthouse grounds while the monument is on the grounds along a pathway toward the courthouse.Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Defuniak Springs FL 32433, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Walton County Confederate Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Walton-DeFuniak Library (approx. 0.3 miles away); Florida Education Association: The Beginning (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Chautauqua Hall of Brotherhood (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cosson Family Tragedy (approx. 6 miles away); Eucheeanna Community (approx. 6.7 miles away); Euchee Valley Presbyterian Church And Cemetery (approx. 8 miles away); Knox Hill Academy (approx. 10.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in DeFuniak Springs.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 17, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 1,161 times since then and 66 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on January 17, 2011, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.