Chippewa Falls in Chippewa County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Reverend Charles F.X. Goldsmith
December 22, 1845 - November 24, 1890
The "Boy Priest" as he was called, arrived in Chippewa Falls on May 25, 1869 and two days later said mass at the old St. Mary's of the Falls Church.
His first big work was the construction of Notre Dame Church. He began collecting money by visiting lumber camps and pioneer farms throughout the Chippewa Valley. Construction of the church began in the spring of 1870 and was completed in August of 1872.
In 1884 he helped build St. Charles Church and plan a permanent hospital, which was staffed by the Hospital Sisters of St. Francis. In 1886 he helped build Holy Ghost Church. He also established a newspaper called "The Catholic Sentinal".
According to his doctors, Father Goldsmith died in 1890 at the age of 44 due
Marker Sign #29
Erected by the Chippewa County Historical Society. (Marker Number 29.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion.
Location. 44° 56.157′ N, 91° 23.219′ W. Marker is in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, in Chippewa County. Marker is on Allen Street west of South Prairie Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 123 Allen Street, Chippewa Falls WI 54729, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Notre Dame Church (within shouting distance of this marker); Old McDonell High School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hiram Stores Allen The Marsh Rainbow Arch Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oldest Commercial Building in Chippewa Falls (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the Mason Shoe Factory (approx. 0.3 miles away); Site of the Hiram S. Allen Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Norway House & the Birthplace of Alexander Wiley (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chippewa Falls.
Also see . . . Father C. F. X. Goldsmith. (Submitted on January 28, 2011.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 28, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 714 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on January 28, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.