Chippewa Falls in Chippewa County, Wisconsin — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Notre Dame Church
On May 27, 1869 Father Charles F.X. Goldsmith came to Chippewa Falls. He immediately began to work for the erection of a new suitable church building. Work began on Notre Dame Church in the spring of 1870 and was completed in 1872. It was built of native stone from a nearby quarry located in present day Irvine Park. The huge stone blocks were hauled by horse cart to this site.
Across the street was the small 3 room First Ward City School. In May 1881 Father Goldsmith notified the Board of Education he wished to purchase the school for the purpose of establishing a parochial institution. On September 27, 1881 the school opened in the charge of the School Sisters of Notre Dame / Milwaukee. The growing parish erected the present school building in 1924.
Marker Sign #2
Erected by the Chippewa County Historical Society. (Marker Number 2.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion.
Location. 44° 56.137′ N, 91° 23.254′ W. Marker is in Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin, in Chippewa County. Marker is at the intersection of Allen Street and South High Street, on the left when traveling west on Allen Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 117 Allen Street, Chippewa Falls WI 54729, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Reverend Charles F.X. Goldsmith (within shouting distance of this marker); Old McDonell High School (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Hiram Stores Allen (about 600 feet away); The Marsh Rainbow Arch Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Oldest Commercial Building in Chippewa Falls (approx. ¼ mile away); Site of the Mason Shoe Factory (approx. 0.3 miles Site of the Hiram S. Allen Home (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Norway House & the Birthplace of Alexander Wiley (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Chippewa Falls.
Also see . . . The Church of Notre Dame. (Submitted on January 30, 2011.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on January 30, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 847 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on January 30, 2011, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.