Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Oglethorpe in Macon County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Lanier/Miona Springs

 
 
Lanier/Miona Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 24, 2011
1. Lanier/Miona Springs Marker
Inscription.  Upon the chartering of Macon County, by an Act approved December 29, 1837, the town of Lanier was made the first county seat. Until 1854 it was a bustling center for many of the earliest settlers in the county including Georgia Senator and Brig. Gen. Philip Cook, C.S.A. Its post office (1838-1866) still stands one half mile Northeast of this marker.

Miona Springs, an ancient gather place of American Indians, lies just Northeast of Lanier. With seven major mineral springs, it was appropriated in 1818 by the first White settler, Timothy Barnard.
 
Erected 1994 by The Macon County Historical Society.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Native AmericansSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is December 29, 1891.
 
Location. 32° 24.246′ N, 84° 3.884′ W. Marker is near Oglethorpe, Georgia, in Macon County. Marker is at the intersection of Georgia Route 128 and Miona Spring Road (County Route 257), on the right when traveling north on State Route 128. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Oglethorpe GA 31068, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Confederate Soldiers Monument (approx. 7.1 miles away); Macon County (approx. 7.7 miles away); Timothy Barnard (approx. 7.7 miles away); Lumpkin Academy (approx. 7.9 miles away); Home of Samuel Henry Rumph (approx. 8 miles away); Mt. Zion Lutheran Church (approx. 10.1 miles away); Gen. John B. Gordon (approx. 10.6 miles away); Flint River Farms Resettlement Project (approx. 11.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Oglethorpe.
 
Lanier/Miona Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 24, 2011
2. Lanier/Miona Springs Marker
Looking north on Georgia Highway 128; the unpaved Miona Springs Road is on the right.
Lanier/Miona Springs Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, January 24, 2011
3. Lanier/Miona Springs Marker
Looking east on Miona Springs Road toward the old post office
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 7, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 990 times since then and 21 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 7, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=40140

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024