Americus in Sumter County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
The house is believed to have been built circa 1855 by Willis A. Hawkins, associate justice of the Georgia Supreme Court. It was purchased a few years later by Howell Cobb, Secretary of the Treasury, Congressman, Governor of Georgia (1851-53), and Major General in the Confederate States Army. Other past owners of this house include S. H. Hawkins, president of the Savannah, Americus and Montgomery Railway, and Dr. W. S. Prather, physician.
Erected 1961 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 129-7.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1865.
Location. 32° 3.938′ N, 84° 13.8′ W. Marker is in Americus, Georgia, in Sumter County. Marker is at the intersection of South Lee Street (Georgia Route 377) and East College Street, on Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 436 South Lee Street, Americus GA 31709, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Calvary Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Speaker Crisp (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rees Park (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Flood of July 1994 (approx. 0.4 miles away); The First Presbyterian Church of Americus (approx. half a mile away); The Prather Clinic (approx. half a mile away); Sumter County Courthouse Bell (approx. half a mile away); Founders Memorial Park (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Americus.
Regarding Federal Headquarters. The house no longer stands; an apartment building is on the site.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 10, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 689 times since then and 46 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 10, 2011, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.