Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clayton in Kent County, Delaware — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Site of Blackiston Methodist Church

 
 
Site of Blackiston Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bob Marshall, June 4, 2009
1. Site of Blackiston Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  A local society of Methodists was organized circa 1778. On May 16, 1781, they obtained land here on which to build a permanent house of worship. A large frame church was then constructed and named Blackiston's Chapel, to honor the family that provided the site. For many years it was the largest Methodist church on the Delmarva Peninsula. Many of the pioneers of Methodism visited here to preach. In 1847, the old church was moved and a new one was erected in its place. This building continued to stand until it was dismantled following a damaging storm in 1980.
 
Erected 2002 by Delaware Public Archives. (Marker Number KC-74.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionColonial Era. In addition, it is included in the Delaware Public Archives series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1917.
 
Location. 39° 15.742′ N, 75° 44.268′ W. Marker is in Clayton, Delaware, in Kent County. Marker is at the intersection of Millington Road (Delaware Route 6) and Blackiston Church Road (Delaware
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Route 131), on the right when traveling east on Millington Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clayton DE 19938, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Mason-Dixon Line Crownstone (approx. 1.1 miles away in Maryland); Cheney Clow's Rebellion (approx. 4.3 miles away); Chance-Vought F4U-1 Corsair (approx. 4.4 miles away in Maryland); 1937 Douglas DC-3 (approx. 4.4 miles away in Maryland); Meet our AN-2 (approx. 4.4 miles away in Maryland); Antonov AN-2 (approx. 4.4 miles away in Maryland); Town of Kenton (approx. 4.6 miles away); Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.7 miles away in Maryland).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2009, by Bob Marshall of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,784 times since then and 40 times this year. Last updated on February 10, 2011, by Bob Marshall of Baltimore, Maryland. Photo   1. submitted on June 5, 2009, by Bob Marshall of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=40190

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 23, 2024