Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Avalon in Allegheny County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Davis Island Lock and Dam

 
 
Davis Island Lock and Dam Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, April 28, 2014
1. Davis Island Lock and Dam Marker
Inscription.  Below this bridge was the first lock and dam built (1878-1885) on the Ohio River. This was the world's largest movable dam yet constructed, and included the world's first rolling lock gate and widest lock chamber. Built and operated by the United States Army Corps of Engineers; replaced by the nearby Emsworth Locks and Dams in 1922.
 
Erected 1987 by Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & CommerceWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1922.
 
Location. 40° 29.64′ N, 80° 3.852′ W. Marker is in Avalon, Pennsylvania, in Allegheny County. Marker is on Ohio River Boulevard (Pennsylvania Route 65), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pittsburgh PA 15202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Greenstone United Methodist Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Presston (approx. 0.8 miles
Davis Island Lock and Dam Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Mike Wintermantel, January 28, 2011
2. Davis Island Lock and Dam Marker
Looking south on Ohio River Boulevard (PA 65), site is over hill behind trees to right of photo.
Click or scan to see
this page online
away); Michael A. Musmanno (approx. 0.9 miles away); Ross Township Fifth District World War II Memorial (approx. 1.1 miles away); Mount Assisi (approx. 1.2 miles away); 1909 McKee's Rocks Strike (approx. 1.3 miles away); St. Mary's Ukrainian Orthodox Church (approx. 1.4 miles away); Twenty-Four Residents (approx. 1½ miles away).
 
More about this marker. Near the parking lot of Eat n Park.
 
Davis Island Dam & Lock No. 1, Ohio River, mile 4.7 on right bank. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Paul J. Breier, March 1983
3. Davis Island Dam & Lock No. 1, Ohio River, mile 4.7 on right bank.
Davis Island Lock and Dam image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Unknown, June 6, 1904
4. Davis Island Lock and Dam
Photograph of the dam.
Courtesy of: Elizabeth Marine Ways
http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jmohney/
<i>Geneva</i> at dedication ceremony image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Unknown
5. Geneva at dedication ceremony
The Packet Geneva on October 7, 1885, the flagship at the dedication ceremony for the Davis Island Lock and Dam.
The Davis Island Dam during an 1890's river pageant image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Unknown, circa 1890s
6. The Davis Island Dam during an 1890's river pageant
The pageant celebrates the building of the first movable dam in the world, located on the Ohio River. The Davis Island Dam no longer exists. The steamboat moored at the wharf is the Sam Brown. Courtesy: The Historical Society of Western Pennsylvania
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on January 28, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,479 times since then and 10 times this year. Last updated on February 11, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Photos:   1. submitted on April 28, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   2. submitted on January 28, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   3. submitted on January 29, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   4. submitted on January 15, 2014, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.   5. submitted on February 3, 2011.   6. submitted on April 29, 2011, by Mike Wintermantel of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=40201

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Feb. 4, 2023